Sunday 8 April 2018

6 thing I have learned so far in Mongu..

6 things I (Julia) have learned so far in Mongu:

1.   That using your brain and knowledge are both extremely important, especially when in a healthcare environment with limited resources. I have been challenged to change my healthcare mind-set from very technology focused to critical thinking focused while being here, because often times the equipment you need is not available. Because what do you do when you don’t have another ambu-bag and you need it? What do you do when you don’t have an IV pump, or a tourniquet, or tape, or normal saline? You need use your critical thinking skills, nursing knowledge, and a bit of creativity in order to work with what you have. I have experienced these kinds of situations many times here in Mongu.

2.   That Zambia time is much different then Canadian time. In Zambia the people revolve time around their lives, whereas in Canada, we revolve our lives around time. They are all much more relaxed about time here, and because of this people understand that sometimes it is okay to be late, because if you are late it means you got caught up doing something else important in your life. This is very different for me, but I think us in Canada could all learn a thing or two from Zambia time. I also learned that if you actually want a taxi to pick you up on time here, you must specifically tell them “7:30am Canadian time.”


3.   That it is acceptable to swerve all over the road while driving to dodge all the massive pot holes, people, and obstacles on the road. It is also acceptable for the cab driver to blast cool gangster rap music in all situations, including when dropping us off at the hospital in the morning.


4.   That everyone needs to dance a little bit more. Dancing is a big part of the culture here, and we have all had many opportunities to dance while we were here. Whether it be spontaneous dance parties with children on our road, or dancing with a group of nuns and pastors at Liseli Lodge, or having the ladies at the Zambia Project teach us their moves. That being said, I have also learned that Zambian people are great dancers, and that they definitely have a thing or two to teach to us “mukuas” about dancing.


5.   That it is very possible to carry large and heavy objects on your head and walk far distances while balancing them. Many women here carry VERY large objects on their heads, all the while having to also carry their baby at the same time. I am continuously impressed and amazed at how these women manage to do this.



6.   That the same place can be heartbreaking, but also beautiful at the same time. I have seen many difficult things here, things that I have heard about but have never experienced before I arrived in Zambia. For example, one of the hardest things I have seen are the ill children – many who are small and hungry and have swollen bellies, many with serious illnesses, and many with torn clothing and rotten teeth. These children have broken my heart. But I have also seen the passion and dedication of certain individuals, healthcare workers and organizations that are trying to help these children. I have seen their successes and the differences they are making. I have seen the beauty in the people who are trying to make a change, and the beauty in the children who are growing and healing and recovering. I have found that many of my experiences here in Mongu have also had this same contrast.

- Julia Roth

No comments:

Post a Comment