Monday 3 April 2017

The incubator unit

This last week Mckinnley returned to the Special Care Baby Unit (SCUB) and I (Brishen), joined her. I was weary of working in this care area because my experience with premature newborns was next to nothing. Surprisingly, I found I could fit there because I saw my contributions as a health care professional making a positive impact. For example, to keep discharge from a new ostomy contained and off of a fresh surgical site, I cut a hole in a tagaderm and fit a glove through it, attaching the device to my young patient as a make-shift ostomy bag. I never thought I would find myself working in a unit dedicated to infant care, however I enjoyed my short time there. I was lucky enough to have Mckinnley guidance and knowledge with me in the SCUB unit. 

I (Mckinnley) made the decision to return to the SCUB unit this week. After the events in my previous week in SCUB, I felt a commitment to the unit and its tiny patients (I also really love baby snuggles). Myself and Brishen were hesitant, although hopeful for our upcoming week. 

The additional time provided us the opportunity to take a critical look at the workings of the unit and our impact there. We found ourselves reflecting on how the lack of resources affected not only the availability of supplies and medicine, but also staffing ratios. We have seen small SCUB unit, and its adjoining kangaroo care room, to accommodate up to 14 newborns. In Canada we would have at least 5 nurses and numerous support staff to provide care for this patient load. The Zambian unit most often only has one nurse. This means that mothers are required to provide night and day feeding and care for their sick infants. 

With only one nurse on the unit (albeit a very knowledgeable one) she must choose how to allocate her time based on infant status. When there is several critically ill babies on the unit, where does the nurses time go? Should her time be allocated to the critically ill patients? or the patients that are more healthy and more likely to be discharged? While we always have to manage and prioritize our time in Canada, we are fortunate to have the resources to constantly monitor and provide complete care for all of our patients.

- Brishen and Mckinnley

No comments:

Post a Comment