Tuesday 4 April 2017

Leaving behind a piece of our hearts ❤

Hi everyone! Last week I was able to change things up and spend a few days at the Save a Life Centre. This was a great experience, as I was able to work in the clinic alongside the doctor. After watching her see a few patients, she switched seats with me and let me take the lead! Having autonomy felt great, and really tested my knowledge about the common illnesses we learned about. Fortunately, a lot of people came in with common things: sore muscles, menstraul cramps, common colds, the flu. These are easily treatable and the patients receive all medications free of charge. What a wonderful program to promote the health and wellbeing of these clients. This clinic also sees all of the school children for any apppintment they may need, as well as ensures each child receives an HIV test, has their BMI calculated (to screen for malnutrition), has routine ear cleanings, and as well routinely deworms the children.  I was able to get through many people in the clinic, and ended the day with one case that may stick with me for a while. A young girl, around my age, was potentially having an ectopic pregnancy and needed to be brought to the hospital. She looked terrified, and did not want to tell her mother she was pregnant. Many factors play into this situation, as in this culture being unmarried and engaging in sexual activities is discouraged. She asked if we could tell her mother, so we did. After explaining the seriousness of the situation, they said they were unable to go as they had no means of transportation. I spoke aside with the doctor, explaining that I would be leaving soon and they could come with me in the cab. After translating, the mother and daughter agreed to come, and I kept reassuring them that I would cover the cost (as well as give them kwacha to get home) and I was happy that they were going to be going to Lewanika General Hospital. They were very grateful for this, and I hope everyone is healthy and safe now. It felt great to be able to help pay for this family to get medical help, but all I could think was how many more times this happens and people go home because of finances, transportation, time, other kids to care for, etc... Unfortunately the poverty level is high, and paying 30-50 kwacha each way for a cab is not affordable for everyone. Sure, I was able to help one girl. But how can everyone have access to medical help in emergencies, despite where they live or their financial status?

During my time at Save a Life I was also able to go on one home visit with Nikki. Walking through the villages opened my eyes to how many people live in each home, and how many children there are! We were visiting a little girl who is new to the feeding program, and she has begun improving already. We delivered food to her mother for the week, that is adequate in nutrients to help promote her growth and bring her out of malnourishment. During this time I was able to hand out some handmade teddy bears from a family member in Canada, and the children absolutely loved them! It was nice to see such big and happy smiles. Toys and gifts are something we take for granted so often in Canada, especially children. Your favourite toy is gold until something new comes out! But here in Mongu, I see true appreciation for gifts. The children genuinely love to play and interact, and small things like bubbles and stickers make them so happy. I've seen some pretty creative handmade toys as well! Some of these kids have great engineering futures ahead of them!



I was able to spend one last day on Labour & Delivery, which feels like my home since we've been here. Unfortunately not much was going on, but the four of us (Steph, Kristen Merkley, Avneet & I) were able to assist in a delivery of a beautiful baby girl. It was a little questionable at first how well she was doing, but we had our emergency equipment prepared, and the second the cord was cut we were attending to the baby.

Well, it's time! We must leave Mongu and say our goodbyes. This experience has been far more than I ever expected it to be, and I cannot say enough how thankful I am for the group of girls we had, and of course our three lovely teachers (now colleagues!) that supported us each and every day. I met so many wonderful people here, from ladies in the market, to our fantastic and reliable cab drivers, to each individual I worked with on L&D and at Save a Life. Each individual taught me something different about life that I will always remember. It has been such a privilege to be welcomed into this community for the past month, and I hope that our presence had a positive reflection on everyone as well. I hope to return one day with OkaZhi - but first, student loans and graduation!
Congratulations my Zamfam - finally we are REGISTERED NURSES!!!

Much love to everyone,

Alana

No comments:

Post a Comment