Monday 3 April 2017

Homeward Bound

Well we're coming to the end of our time in Mongu and let me tell you, I have learned a lot. I think that coming to a country that is such a contrast to Canada has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I have noticed that I am more aware of my surroundings and the people around me. It is so easy to get stuck in our Western bubble and ignore what is happening in the world. I think back to things that I would complain about in my life or at work and I truly understand the meaning of "First World Problems". We live in an age where technology and money seem to dictate our lives. It has been eye opening coming to a place where people don't rely on material things to be happy. Many people make less than 1000 kwacha a month (approximately $145 CAD). I have easily spent 1000 kwacha in a week thinking how nice it is that we can get our everyday necessities and luxuries for so cheap. But then I think about what $145 would get you in Canada for a month... Not a lot. When you think about it, 1000 kwacha does not leave a lot of wiggle room for extra things if you have to spend that money on water, food, and rent. However, I have observed that people in Zambia still find happiness with few things. They don't need the latest iPhone, a brand new car or fancy jewelry from their significant other to be happy. They find happiness in who they surround themselves with and their faith. It has made me realize that I was someone who heavily relied on my phone and laptop to function in my day to day. But in a place like Zambia you get the chance to put down the phone and just experience life. You get to see the joy, sadness, and frustration through the Zambian people's eyes. I feel so grateful that I was welcomed into this country with open arms and hearts. People here are so kind and generous. I have had so many people pass me on the street and smile or ask me how I am. Almost all the staff I have met at the hospital have been so curious about us and our lives in Canada. They are excited to share their knowledge and expertise with us. Many of the physicians and nurses challenge us to think in the context of a low resource facility and push us to see beyond our Western medicine lens. There were many times when we didn't have enough medications or supplies for all of our clients. Some of the clinics have only one physician and a few nurses to provide services to hundreds of people. When we are understaffed in Canada we often are quite bitter about the increased workload. But not once have I heard the healthcare professionals here complain. They work to provide the best possible care to those in need and they still manage to laugh and bring a sense of humour to their work lives. Seriously, some of the people we have worked with are hilarious (still not always sure whether they are laughing with us or at us) and I usually leave work feeling happy with the success of the day. But I also experienced many lows while being in Zambia. This included seeing my friends being upset about a day at clinical, experiencing the profound effect HIV has in Zambia and witnessing suffering in the clinics and hospitals. There were days where I cried and wondered whether I made the right choice to come. Some days I just wanted to be home with my friends and family. But I will never say I regret coming to Zambia. I think the biggest thing I have realized is that in every situation, good or bad, you can learn and grow. It may take days, months or years to find out what you learned but I think that looking back we will all see some sort of growth. Even as I reflect on my experiences, I see that I have changed. I have grown into some more aware of myself, my peers and the people around me. I am trying to listen more than I speak, learn more than I teach, give more than I receive and laugh more than I cry. Zambia has given me a wonderful gift; being present in the moment. It has given me the ability to put my phone down and experience life. Yes, taking photos to remember your time here is important, and using your phone is a convenient way to do this. But I think that being present in the moment so that you can give someone or something your full attention and time is more meaningful. This is something I will bring back to my life in Canada. Simply enjoying the fantastic people in my life, my rewarding career and the exciting things the future will bring. I am so proud of the work we have done here and the relationships we made. I am so grateful that we were given the opportunity to come to Zambia, as it is a trip I will always remember. We will be heading to Livingstone on Wednesday for a little fun, and then back to Terrace in Northern BC for me. Although the trip has been amazing I am looking forward to a little relaxation and time with my family. Thank you for following my blog posts, I appreciate all the love and support throughout this trip!

Cheers!
Jill Fuller




No comments:

Post a Comment