Tuesday 4 April 2017

Goodbye Mongu

When I first pictured myself in Mongu, Zambia, I saw myself surrounded by mud huts and lions. I guess it goes without saying that my expectation was far from my reality. Instead, I was greeted by extremely wholehearted people, cooled off in my air conditioned room, heard Katy Perry blasting through the radio, danced at a club, visited the Safeway-like grocery store many times, and, so far,...no lions.
The healthcare system was also different than my expectations. I expected the hospital to be a place where people came to die paired with a complete lack of resources to deal with their health concerns. Instead, I saw people in the hospital being discharged, and although there was a very apparent lack of resources, the healthcare workers I worked with demonstrated extreme innovation and competence.  I was absolutely amazed how resourceful people can be in a low resource setting.
I learned many new nursing skills throughout my global health practicum that I would not have had the opportunity to learn if I were doing my practicum in Canada.  For instance, I helped diagnose illnesses, prescribe medications, and deliver babies. Being able to participate in these skills that only physicians do back in Canada has improved my knowledge of what other healthcare professionals go through during their days. Understanding their point of views will allow me to better relate to the physicians and other healthcare professionals back home.
Although this will be a great addition to my skill set, the most valuable knowledge I gained throughout my global health experience was better understanding privilege. I always knew I was lucky to have grown up receiving much more than my basic needs, but I had never actually stopped to think about it and reflect on it until this practicum.  For me, this topic was impossible to not think about every day of the practicum. I was impressed and humbled to see people living in what looked like awful poverty to me being able to live fulfilling and happy lives; however, I often felt embarrassed by my privilege. I felt sick at the site of people collecting water from dirty streams while on my way to buy bottled water or seeing children die from malaria when I knew I wouldn't run out of my $5 a day anti-malarial pill.  At the beginning of my practicum, I really struggled with this difference in privilege and the knowledge it had nothing more to do with than pure luck; however, as my practicum progressed, I realized feeling sorry for the people here wouldn't help. Instead, I decided to use the power I was given through privilege to continue working and advocating for improved global health.  Once this trip is over, I will be joining the Okazhi foundation.
  I am so happy I was able to do my global health practicum in Mongu. I am sad it is coming to an end already. The knowledge I've gained and the lessons I've learned have been truly invaluable.

Until next time,
Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment