Sunday 15 April 2018

Goodbyes Are Never Easy

Hey there, it's Amanda!

Wow! It's hard to believe that five weeks ago our plane touched down on African soil and I felt the hot, humid air of Zambia engulf me as the plane doors opened and I made the short walk across the tarmac. "Welcome to Zambia!" said the sign above the doorway as I passed through and into the airport. My adventure was just beginning!

Now here we are, five weeks later and we are getting ready to leave Mongu. Although there is much excitement in the air as we begin our packing - discussing travel plans and gearing up for graduation - the feeling is bittersweet. This place is one we have grown to love. The friendships made are one's we'll cherish and although we are excited for what's ahead, it's still very hard to say goodbye.

For my fourth and final week here in Mongu, I was back at Lewanika General Hospital on the Labor and Delivery Unit. The mothers here are strong, bearing through the discomfort in silence, a nurse at the bedside holding their hand or rubbing their back. But what I find so beautiful to see is the transition from a weary but determined mother in labor in the busy, hot delivery room, to the peaceful scene of her breastfeeding her new baby; a soft, content smile on her face reflecting the love that she has for her child. It was worth it.

On Thursday we ended our last day of our BScN degree on a high note. Together, with a group of second year nursing students from Lewanika School of Nursing, we piled into two buses and drove to a small village 45 minutes out of town. Here we taught two schools about sexual health and handed out our remaining Days For Girls kits. At the end of each teaching session, we led the girls in an empowerment chant in both English and Lozi, encouraging them to recognize their strength and beauty as women. We attracted a crowd outside the open windows as the student's beautiful voices rose and filled the school room. With the last line we all clapped and cheered and a flood of emotions overwhelmed me as both the beauty of empowerment radiating from these women, mixed with the feeling of completing my degree hit me all at once. What a way to celebrate!

During these past four weeks in Mongu I have experienced the Post-Natal, Special Care Unit for Babies (SCUB), and Labour and Delivery Units at Lewanika General Hospital, as well as Sefula Primary Health Centre and the Save A Life Clinic. I have learnt so much from all of the knowledgable doctors, nurses, and other staff here in Zambia, and feel honoured to have worked with each and every one of them. I hope to never forget the people and the many experiences I have had here - in fact, I know that they will remain in my heart as I begin my nursing career back in Canada. 

It is hard to say goodbye, but I am hopeful that I will be back in the future. 

Livingstone here we come!

Much love,
Amanda 

No comments:

Post a Comment