Saturday 14 April 2018

Easter Weekend Shenanigans! (And my experience on L&D)

Hello Sam here.
Sorry for this is a very late blog post. These past weeks have been very busy and have gone by so fast. I am so thankful that I got to spend my birthday and Easter weekend with my amazing peers. It was such an eventful day. Started off by a couple of us going to church. This was definitely a different experience than in Canada. There is way more singing and dancing. It is also extremely loud. Mass lasted for about 4 hours.. Then we went back home and I got surprised with pancake lunch! I was saying for the whole week that I wanted to make pancakes except we didn’t have any baking powder so I couldn’t make any. So this was such a great surprise. They were very delicious. Later that day we decorated Easter eggs. They all turned out so pretty! Everybody’s creativity definitely came through. To end off the night we had a delicious family dinner! We all ate dinner outside under the stars by candlelight. Then they made me a birthday cake, and used glow sticks since they had misplaced the birthday candles.

This week I spent 2 days on the labour and delivery ward and 2 days at school health. My labour and delivery experience was great thanks to the amazing and knowledgeable doctor who took the time to quiz and teach us. We were fortunate enough to assist in a c-section delivery and a vaginal birth. On the second day of being on the labour and delivery ward I noticed that there was one mom in particular that didn’t look like she was coping well with her contractions. You could tell that this was her first child and she didn’t know what else to do to help relieve the pain. We asked her if she would like some help which she eagerly agreed to. During a contraction I applied counter pressure to her back while Ella encouraged her to take deep breaths and told her she was doing a good job. You could tell how grateful and thankful she was to us for supporting her through this transition in her life. We were able to help this mom throughout the whole birthing process. We assisted in the birth, assessed the baby and was able to provide teaching on how to breastfeed. Seeing how happy this mom was holding her baby was the best feeling. I had a amazing time and learned so much from this experience!

Thanks for reading,
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment