Sunday 16 April 2017

From student to nurse

This experience has been like none I have ever had before. I grew up travelling and know what it is like to live in unfamiliar places. I knew coming to Zambia would be different, because for the first time I would be travelling, working, and living with a group. I am accustomed to travelling independently, and found having to navigate a busy schedule with unique group dynamics challenging at first. I enjoy my 'alone time' and, with the added responsibilities of leading group projects, have needed more of it than usual. I have realized that building relationships with others is essential for cultivating trust and teamwork. I have also come to appreciate that maintaining these relationships is often more important than being task orientated.

This experience is different from any other 'clinical experience' because it is not clinically based. I have come to learn that I enjoy medicine (my western view of medicine) and take comfort in my medical/ surgical practices back home. Within my first few days of practice I realized that my knowledge and skill doesn't have the same value in Zambia as it does in Canada. I felt frustrated with the care I was observing. Why does an emergency in Zambia look so different than an emergency in Canada? Is it the difference in resources, training or knowledge on potential adverse outcomes? Maybe all of the above or none of the above? Either way, I felt very out of place. I came to realize that what makes me a good nurse in Canada, does not necessarily make me a good nurse in Zambia. How could I make my time here meaningful and put my skills to work? I had to change my focus to a more upstream approach. Thankfully, I had the opportunity to prepare the preliminary steps in a needs assessment for a first responder program. This has been a fantastic learning opportunity for me, as well as a chance to try my hand at something new. I have personally observed a need for this program and I am excited to see where this project goes in the future.

Reflecting on my clinical experiences, having had the chance to work in both urban and rural settings, I have a newfound appreciation for the Canadian medical system. It makes me think . . . health care is a right to everyone and should be universal. How can I, as a nurse, help establish a strong and reliable health care system?

It is hard to believe that my time as a nursing student has come to an end. I am grateful for this experience and all of the lessons I have learned. My major take aways from this trip are as follows:

- Never underestimate the importance of building relationships and establishing trust.
- Building others up is vitally important.
- Just because it's not your way doesn't mean it's the only way.
- Challenges build character . . . enjoy the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment